Saturday, May 16, 2009

Woo hoo!!!!

The girls have finally laid!!! What a surprise when my son looked in their nesting boxes today. Bought the hens in january when they were about 4 mths old. So they are now about 8 mths. They're orpingtons, with are a larger breed, so they take a bit longer to mature than other breeds, but I was wondering if we'd have to wait until after winter for any eggs. I'm wondering if the fact that I switched their food a couple of days ago had anything to do with it?? have been buying layers pellets for them, but accidently bought layers mash this time and it seems to be doing the trick. they love it, has to be mixed with water, so takes slightly longer to prepare, but from now on they will be having mash every day. I have also bought some "universal" pellts, suitable for my goats and guinea pigs as well as the chooks. So they get a feed of pellets later before bed as well as scraps during the day. have to take some more photo's soon, realised that I havent got any photo's of the goats or the guinea pigs on here yet.

No comments: