Monday, September 7, 2009

My friend Joy is never one to say no to a challenge, and sometimes she shares them with her friends ;-). she asked me if I would babysit four chickens for her while she went to australia, no probs....but about 4pm the day before they were due to arrive, I picked up a message on my answerphone....umm make that 10 chickens!! so in the last 24 hrs I have completely fenced off an area of my back yard for the new arrivals, not sure how my little flock would handle 10 new members. - they arrived just as I was putting up the last of the netting. Turns out they are ex battery hens, and docile wee things...very easy going so that's a relief. It was much more of a drama having one wild sussex hen visit for a couple of days, much more squawking and general mayhen (lol) as she settled in. I took a little video of their introduction to our cat Sasha, which i'll post some time.. despite her factory raising, the hen stood her groud with the cat, and in the end he retreated. they are great little chickens, much smaller than my orpingtons, but have already laid an egg, there was one in the back of the ute they arrived in too, looking forward to more eggs tomorrow...Joy...I wanna keep them!!! awwwwww.

will take some photo's later

No comments: