Friday, December 14, 2007

Tomatoes



I bought two packets of tomato seed and planted them in a tray. Now, after giving some away plants away to my neighbours,there are still over 100 left. Most of them are now planted in the tyre garden, the rest are scattered around the house.

The abundance of nature amazes me. Those two packets of seeds bought for a couple of dollars, could keep my family in tomatoes for the rest of our lives if some of the new seed is saved every year, for the next years planting.

I've mulched around the tomatoes with grass clippings. as well as retaining moisture and protecting the soil, it also deters my cats who think any bare earth is meant to be a toilet made specially for their use.. Many of my plans have been dug up soon after planting by enthusiastic cats.

No comments: