Saturday, July 4, 2009

abundance gardening...

I'm starting to plan the vege garden now, with the aim of creating an abundance of supply, with the surplus available to sell at local markets or from home.I don't have a huge piece of land, and one of my objectives is to demonstrate how a small piece of land can produce an abundance of food.

In fact a lot of my garden could be recreated in a courtyard or in containers. When I lived in the far north I had a friend who had a commercial organic garden, he planted all his broccoli in used yoghurt pottles, and sold it at the market with the roots intact. That way it was as fresh as possible, but also could be taken home again if it didnt sell that day. I've been collecting 1000's of pots, discarded by other gardeners, and I plan to do the same for all my fresh veges - grow each cabbage or broccolli or lettuce in an individual pot.
I'll offer a discount on the sale of the next vege, for the return of a pot, or in exchange for a pot.

I'm often put off buying veges from the supermarket, because the nutrient content goes down evey hour they picking. I'd like to also sell little vege gardens, & premade herb and salad gardens.

A way to go until then though :-) taking just one step at a time......

3 comments:

James David said...

excellent idea in getting the vegetables planted. Very nice blog indeed.
Hope you got all the seeds collected. Looking forward towards your garden progress.

anjilala said...

no I haven't got all my seed yet, just ordered some chia seed, and have some salad mix seeds, and lots of baby plants - spinach, silverbeet,beetroot, celery, parsley , and chives. Will get more seeds and start seed trays soon - Your garden is very pretty...mine is a bit rough :-)

Jenn's Cooking Garden! said...

I love how you think! I enjoy reading your posts!