Saturday, July 4, 2009

Ups and downs

Today was a mixed day in the garden. I finally started planting daffodils again, and preparing for the vege garden. I was really pleased with the progress, and was admiring the two Hawera plum trees I had planted a few days ago, when tragedy struck - as I turned toward some loud squeaks coming from one of the hutches, I saw one of the cats running across the lawn with one of the babies in his mouth. I managed to get it off him, but unfortunately it was too late. It's injuries were too severe to be fixed, and I could only make him as comfortable as possible for his last moments.
I've secure the hutch so that there won't be any more escapees. but it was pretty sad at the time.

In some ways that whole story sums up nature pretty well. Nature always produces an abundance, and already another mother to be is getting fatter every day, and soon the little one we lost will be replaced, but not forgotten.... The cats are only following their nature as predators, but as there caretaker, I try to prevent this kind of thing happening. I have the plan for next cage, to house the mothers and babies, in my head, with improvements on the last attempt. The last cage, was designed around the materials I on hand, but the next one will be custom built with function and comfort priorities.

The original cage is not very well designed, and the sooner there is a new cage the better.

No comments: